Re: [LUG] Odd behaviour

On Aug 12, 2013, bad apple wrote:

> I take it you are using Gnome3 as your desktop environment? When you say
> "missing", do you mean that the display icon isn't in the system
> settings, or that it is present but clicking on it does nothing? Clarify
> please.

In the case of the one I installed from a DVD I didn't say anything about
a DE so I just got what it chose. If I clicked on System Settings I got
a rotating ring of dots for 25 seconds then nothing. In the case of the
one I installed via dist-upgrade I started with Gnome so I suppose I
implied that is what I wanted. The behaviour of System Settings was the
same. And not for me only either; dozens of people wrote to forums.debian.net
("Can't access System Settings") with the same complaint. But since then
I have learned more. I went back to the DVD and re-installed with the option
LXDE and though it again started with a resolution of 1600x1200 it was
easy to change it to a more comfortable 1024x786.

> What is the output of "xrandr"?

Sorry I forgot to do this before re-installing.

> If you see the correct resolution listed in the output of xrandr, you
> can apply it from within the terminal with the -s switch, like so:
>
> xrandr -s 1920x1080

I tried that in Squeeze and it does work; neat. But I'd like other
preferences too so it doesn't replace System Settings.

> ...  but the problem is *not* at their end and it's not going to get
> magically fixed because it's almost definitely not broken in the first
> place.

Since it happened to me twice it seemed to be broken. The forum came
up with no answers and they suspect it is related to a known gnome
control center bug.

> What gfx card and driver combo are you using?

lspci says :  VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV5M64
   [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro] (rev 15)
is that helpful?

> You're going to have to roll your sleeves up, do a little bit of
> dirty work and examine your configuration yourself.

In the case of my wife's PC yes I do because she likes it to work. A
dist-downgrade would be good; I might try that. In my case though
since I sensibly avoided the dist-upgrade route I have a perfectly
good Squeeze that works. If I have time I can play with the LXDE
version to see what it offers, if anything.

> Well, keep the questions coming

I have taken up enough of your time already. I will learn more; there
are lots of sources.