Re: [LUG] Log Rotation + Rsync

On 13/08/13 21:41, Dan Gibbs wrote:
> Is is perfectly acceptable to use rsync and cron for log rotation with
> rsyslog? I ask in case there is a correct way to do it or I am missing
> a trick!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gibbs

You'll need to be a bit more specific - are we talking on a single host,
or a satellite box forwarding part or all of it's syslog to a remote
syslog server, or the remote/master machine?

Is there any reason why you'd not use logrotate? Unless you're rotating
and then transferring stale logs to a remote host for archiving/mining,
I have no idea how rsync would come into it at all.

The only thing I can tell is that you're not using Arch or Fedora,
otherwise you'd be on systemd and would be wrestling with the horrid
journalctl...

Regards