[LUG] Odd behaviour

I've been alarmed by the recent discussion on security (let's keep
cheques for a bit longer) and I am wondering whether I have been
invaded or compromised in some way. I am still on Squeeze (I am trying
to move to the stable Wheezy but it is not easy) and a little while
ago the system behaved oddly.  One symptom was that firefox (aka
iceweasel) wouldn't start; when I pressed the icon there was a pause
and nothing else happened. I checked the disk with Smart and it is
clean. Today I thought I'd try re-installing and I got this:

  libmozjs23d libnspr4 xulrunner-23.0
  iceweasel libnspr4-0d libnss3 libnss3-1d

WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  libnspr4-0d libnspr4 libmozjs23d libnss3-1d libnss3 xulrunner-23.0 iceweasel
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? n

What's involved with authentication, why can't they be and how do I
find out why? Or is there more to it? Is there a FM I should R? Is it to
do with the sources.list?