Re: [LUG] Odd behaviour

On 09/08/13 14:54, Tony Sumner wrote:
> I've been alarmed by the recent discussion on security (let's keep
> cheques for a bit longer) and I am wondering whether I have been
> invaded or compromised in some way. I am still on Squeeze (I am trying
> to move to the stable Wheezy but it is not easy) and a little while
> ago the system behaved oddly.  One symptom was that firefox (aka
> iceweasel) wouldn't start; when I pressed the icon there was a pause
> and nothing else happened. I checked the disk with Smart and it is
> clean. Today I thought I'd try re-installing and I got this:

>   libmozjs23d libnspr4 xulrunner-23.0
>   iceweasel libnspr4-0d libnss3 libnss3-1d
>
> WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
>   libnspr4-0d libnspr4 libmozjs23d libnss3-1d libnss3 xulrunner-23.0 iceweasel
> Install these packages without verification [y/N]? n
>
> What's involved with authentication, why can't they be and how do I
> find out why? Or is there more to it? Is there a FM I should R? Is it to
> do with the sources.list?

As Martijn said, have a look at the secure-apt page, particularly this:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/05/msg00000.html

You may need to import a new key.

As for upgrading from Squeeze > Wheezy, it's actually really
straight-forward - just ask if you want more advice. The steps are
essentially:

1: Make sure everything is backed up, obviously.
2: Change all your sources in /etc/apt/sources.list and
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/* from squeeze to wheezy*
3: Run apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
4: Reboot and sort out any minor details left over from the upgrade.

Although not officially recommended, I do release upgrades on Debian
based systems like this all the time (literally, pretty much every
single day). It's very unusual for anything to go wrong at all, unheard
of for catastrophic failure. So far, at least.

Regards

* (you may need to modify "squeeze" from "stable" depending on how your
sources have been set up)
cd /etc/apt/ && sudo sed -i s/squeeze/wheezy/g sources.list
cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ && sudo sed -i s/squeeze/wheezy/g./*.list