Re: [LUG] Laptops - and the battery

What oil?

The oil that you use to lubricate the bearings, pistons, etc. it gets into the system and ends up as a very fine mist in the air that you then blow over your PC.

I think you've misunderstood. There is no oil anywhere. These things don't come with any oilers or any topups even on the compressor side.

I don't want my PCs covered in oil. It's as simple as that. If you use an oil lubricated compressor you will be putting oil out with the air. (unless your taking precautions to filter it out)

Not using an oil lubricated compressor.

Water vapour I'll grant you, there is a chance of that getting in, but provided the temp differential isn't too much I don't worry about it condensing. I've never seen it dripping from the nozzle.

Modern PCB's are very
robust and I doubt very much there is anything more than the tiniest
theoretical risk of damage beyond blowing mountings and wires loose by
being heavy handed, and this technique is very widely used in the refurb
world. Personally I don't like working on machines that are filthy if it's
a pleasant two minute job to sparkle them up.

What I have a Dyson for.

And I would never use a vacuum on a PC - static buildup /can/ be damaging. (And also, sucking is far less effective at getting dust and crap out from awkward spots)

It seems perhaps we each have our hangups...