Re: [LUG] Laptops - and the battery

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013, Simon Avery wrote:

Where does the oil go?

 Nowhere.

AIUI, oiling (and you can get an in-line oiler) is only needed for tools
with moving parts such as impact drivers, drills, etc.

That doesn't match my experience of work/study/research in an industrial
engineering lab for 5 years... Unless the compressor is properly oil free,
the internal lubrication for the cycliners, valves, etc. ends up in the
airline...

It's possible technoloy has improved in that time though, but as oil free
compressors are separately listed, I have my doubts...

Fair enough, I'm not an expert. But I can say these are designed without
facility for them on the compressor side now and mine has been running very
happily like this for 12 months, and I know of another that's at least
three years old personally - and I have no doubt they'll serve me and
others well for light use for many many years.

I'm sure that for driving tools they're fine and should last years - I was meaning that for use to blow the dust off a PC they may be somewhat sub optimal and they'll be blowing air and oil (and water vapour) too.

Personally I'd never let a compressor like that anywhere near a PC/Laptop.

Gordon