Re: [LUG] Laptops - and the battery

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013, Neil Winchurst wrote:

I have used computers for many years, almost always with desktops. A while ago I was given an old laptop as a gift, so it was my first practice with them. (I use my laptop as a standby machine, and it normally stays in one place. It certainly never leaves the house.)

As the machine was already several years old the battery was pretty useless, so I always had the machine running from the mains. Recently it (the laptop) died on me and I have now replaced it with a brand new one.

Now there is also a brand new battery and I have been researching how to look after it best, with conflicting results. So, can anyone on the list advise me please? Would it cause any problems to run this new laptop always from the mains? This would mean that the battery was always on charge and always fully charged up, but never really being used. Is that a bad idea?

Perhaps it would be better to run from the battery and to recharge as necessary. Anyone have any recommendations please?

If it's a modern LiPo battery, then it more or less has a finite number of charge discharge cycles before it's a gonner. That's their nature.

If storing, try to store with the battery at about 60% charge and charge and check every month.

When the premature killer is heat. Make sure you never block the ventilation holes. Try to never use it on your lap (depite the name!) or (as my wife likes to do) on the duvet in-bed - which conveniently blocks the ventilation holes, making the fan scream in protest... Use a tray.

Running it while plugged into the mains (almost) all the time is fine - but again make sure it's not getting hot. The CPU will be fine, but the battery might not be.

If you start with the expectation that the battery will need replacing in 2-3 years time, then you'll not be surprised when it does need replacing.

There are lots of online articles on this - a quick google finds this at top place:

  http://batterycare.net/en/guide.html

Gordon