Re: [LUG] Kudos to AAISP

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Well how about this for a TOUGH sentnce
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/7942803.stm
>
> 36 month community order

I was talking about the abusers not the consumers. Of course, the
latter play a role but I seriously doubt if the children would have
been helped if this guy had been sent to prison for some years. I also
doubt these people make a risk calculation before downloading these
images based on the sentences they might get, so I wonder about the
deterring effect of stronger sentences.

> Taking child abuse to mean a wide range of things not just sexual abuse,
> I think neglect also has a big effect on kids, family break down, family
> life, (or lack of maybe) and a host of other things.  The scale of this
> is far far bigger than we realize

This is so true. That's one of the issues I have with the focus on
sexual abuse (by strangers): it's such a small part of all the things
that happen to children and seriously affect them.

> I salute you as I guess you are on the front line like me and see the
> effects of the crap kids go through.

I'm not actually - I work in IT security and it was in that role that
I attended the talk on child abuse. But I come from a family of
teachers, so I think I have seen some of the effects.

Martijn.