Re: [LUG] Kudos to AAISP

On 23/07/13 09:05, Simon Robert -Cottage wrote:
> On 22.07.2013 16:23, Martijn Grooten wrote:
>> https://twitter.com/mikko/status/359301218125873152/photo/1
>>
>> In case you've been avoiding the Internet today, or have been focused
>> on the royal womb, this is the context:
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23401076
>>
>> Martijn.
>>
> this is an interesting article about where these terrible statistics
> about porn, never mind child porn, (70% of children have seen hardcore
> while doing their homework etc.) actually originate and the pedigrees
> of some of those involved (remember "Satanic Abuse").
>
> http://www.ministryoftruth.me.uk/2013/06/18/sex-lies-and-porn-statistics/
>
> This is mostly FUD and moral panic. Interesting to note that talktalk
> now bans torrentfreak using legislation partly based on earlier
> attempts to control porn. (if you don't know torrentfreak is a news
> site about copyright and file sharing which is fairly balanced in
> tone, often I see stories in The Guardian that broke on it. Anyhow, it
> has no torrents or even links to torrents or torrent sites).
>
> This is a classic moral panic....
>
> http://www.aber.ac.uk/media/Students/hrb9701.html
>
> This will be another "Dangerous Dogs Act", but with serious
> repercussions for many of us. But maybe I'm just too corrupt, I did
> come of age in the era of the "Video Nasty".

There seems to be two fronts to the current crusade against porn

1. is to filter out search terms that can be used by people to find
child porn,  this can be countered as people have pointed out there are
other ways in which people find content online not even using  web
browser and search engine as such.   Offenders will simply find  way to
circumvent all this.

2. To automatically block on line porn (definition unknown as in does
this cover page 3 up to the explicit material)

I  agree with what was said on on the bcc website by the former head of ceop

But former Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre boss Jim
Gamble told BBC Radio 4's Today programme it was important to "get to
the root cause" of illegal pornography, by catching those responsible
for creating it.

What this policy seems to suggest is that if we hide child porn behind a
veil and make it hard to get at,  it goes away, child abuse will go way
as we don't have the maturity as adult MPs to discuss sex let alone the
put the words sex and children within the same discussion,  surely we
need MP's with the guts to tackle this HEAD ON or stand aside and allow
others with the guts to discuss the issue and not just come up with a
lets block it policy.

As one of the comments says the bigger issue seems to be the
sexualisation of children by mainstream media,

We are looking at 2 different issues here,  the first I doubt even the
most hard core freedom advocate condones child abuse let alone the
sharing of child abuse images.

Questions to the list is

How do we protect people from harmful content ?  While at the same time
protect freedoms online ?

Paul