Re: [LUG] Kudos to AAISP

On 23/07/13 16:43, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Paul Sutton wrote:
>> As I said I agree we need to be targeting abusers and
>> making sure they are not only caught but punished so it sends a message
>> out,  however I don't think our MP's have the guts for that.
> Of course they do. If there's one thing that makes you score points as
> an MP, it's being "tough on paedophiles".
Well how about this for a TOUGH sentnce

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/7942803.stm

36 month community order

and to quote

The court heard how the attack led to a police search of Brian Croft's
home - and the discovery of more than 10,000 child porn images on a
computer and compact discs.

Most of the photographs were at the lower end of a scale used by police
to categorise the seriousness of images.

But 13 were in the most serious, level five category, and 173 were in
level four.

> The sole motivation behind
> making pornography something you have to opt-in to seems to be two
> pretty horrific cases of child abuse. (By a third-party, I should add.
> Most cases of child abuse are committed by someone who knows the
> victim. But people tend to find a strange kind of comfort in the idea
> that it's strangers we need to be afraid of.)

Yep I agree,  we are lured in to a false sense of security, which is why
paedophiles are in some ways very very clever to be able to manipulate
people hence my argument for TOUGH sentencing, as they know what they
are doing and plan very very carefully.

> I recently attended a talk about child abuse and the Internet.
> Thinking of some of the stories I heard about what it does to victims
> still sends shivers down my spine. But that doesn't mean I think it's
> easy to find all of the abusers. And it really doesn't mean I think we
> should make Google et al jump through some hoops, because we somehow
> think that will help.

I work with children / young people (and am guessing you do too) and for
what ever reason there are some seriously messed up children and young
people out there in schools, so I can sort of understand where you are
coming from in terms of what damage being done to people through.
Taking child abuse to mean a wide range of things not just sexual abuse,
I think neglect also has a big effect on kids, family break down, family
life, (or lack of maybe) and a host of other things.  The scale of this
is far far bigger than we realize

I salute you as I guess you are on the front line like me and see the
effects of the crap kids go through.

On a +ve note there are a lot of children / young people out there who
don't go through all tis and go on to be come well adjusted members of
society.

Paul

> And I hope the opening post made clear what I think of the ban on
> porn, which, as someone pointed out yesterday, is actually much more
> sinister than a ban on porn. It's illiberal, it's none of the
> government's business and it's rather hypocritical - see Cameron's
> defense of Page 3 girls (where I agree with him, much as I loathe Page
> 3 girls) and see
> https://twitter.com/jackman365/status/359282317572841473/photo/1
>
> But it's also not going to help a tiny bit, because whatever method
> they can reasonably use, it'll be so easy to to circumvent.
>
> On a positive note, if this goes through (which I seriously doubt),
> the country will end up with a lot of 14-year-old boys with some
> decent computer networking skills. That's a good thing.

:) Yup

> Martijn.

http://www.zleap.net

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.