Re: [LUG] New laptop and internatl microphone

On 19/07/13 13:12, Rob Beard wrote:

On 19/07/2013 12:47, Paul Sutton wrote:
On 19/07/13 12:18, Neil wrote:
Now have a new laptop, and learning about it. It has an internal
webcam which works. It also has an internal microphone which does not
seem to work, as tested with Skype.

Can anyone suggest where to start looking please? I have tried various
ideas. Is there any way I can find out what mic is installed? The
webcam itself was easy as there is a keyboard shortcut to toggle it
on/off.

I have tried lshw but am not sure where to look. Perhaps lspci?

thanks

Neil

lsusb if it is  usb hub internally (if that is possible)

the is a graphical front end to lshw something like lshw-gtk

I think dmidecode also lists hardware

Paul

I'd suggest checking alsamixer to see if it's been muted.  I.E. Start
with the easy stuff first and work your way down the list. Also maybe
try an application that records audio, arecord is the alsa console
application, or for a graphical application I'd suggest Audacity.

Rob

Thanks for that. I installed alsamixer and had a play around with it. Then I tested Skype again and it is now working. The video was easy, just a keyboard shortcut.

I very rarely do anything with sound on my computers, as long as it works. If it ain't broke ..... etc!

Neil