[LUG] New laptop and internatl microphone

Now have a new laptop, and learning about it. It has an internal webcam which works. It also has an internal microphone which does not seem to work, as tested with Skype.

Can anyone suggest where to start looking please? I have tried various ideas. Is there any way I can find out what mic is installed? The webcam itself was easy as there is a keyboard shortcut to toggle it on/off.

I have tried lshw but am not sure where to look. Perhaps lspci?

thanks

Neil