Re: [LUG] Open Street Map

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 9:23 PM, Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> There are still some compromises with using OSM but it is street level
>> complete for Devon and Cornwall [compared to the Ordnance Survey] and has
>> massively improved in the 5 years that I have been a contributor. Postcode
>> searching is still pretty weak in places and individual addresses are
>> unlikely to ever be added unless the Government releases the Post Office
>> address file as open source.
>

> Indeed. It's a shame the PO, which we own (at least for the moment), charges
> us to use them.
The Open Data Institute [1] has made getting the PAF released under an
open data license one of their key priorities:

http://www.theodi.org/blog/cornerstone-open-data-postcode-address-file

I'm actually fairly hopeful on this, though I'm not sure what the
timescale will be.

Ian

[1] http://www.theodi.org/