Re: [LUG] Open Street Map

On the subject of OpenStreetMap, it would be nice if the lug used OSM when maps are required for lug activities. Although I am not a big fan of the complex ODBL license it is open source.

If maps need to be embedded into a webpage, I've been using Leaflet a bit, which handles the OSM inclusion very neatly.

There are still some compromises with using OSM but it is street level complete for Devon and Cornwall [compared to the Ordnance Survey] and has massively improved in the 5 years that I have been a contributor. Postcode searching is still pretty weak in places and individual addresses are unlikely to ever be added unless the Government releases the Post Office address file as open source.

Indeed. It's a shame the PO, which we own (at least for the moment), charges us to use them.

There are ways and means of lookups. My approach has been to use these (such as the googlemaps API) and then store the lat/long coordinates in a database.

There are a number of OSM based routing engines available including the following:

And for those with GPS's, check out http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm  - ready rolled OSM maps for Garmin satnavs and GPSs, with or without routing, with or without Ordnance Survey lookalike. Happily using these for a couple of years on my pair of Oregons and a Nuvi.