Re: [LUG] Open Street Map

Henry Bremridge <henry.bremridge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I saw this email on the list and thought I would have a look at the website
and location.

The location was - naturally - on Google Maps and this is something I use a
lot. However I am starting to use Open Street Map and particularly the
OsmAnd on my android for the following reasons

1) When I find a place I would prefer to add it to Open Street Map rather
than Google Maps

2) OsmAnd works even when offline

Although I must admit I have two bugbears:

- I can't use my favourite locations on OSM (or I don't know how)

- OsmAnd requires I add the place: post codes don't seem to work. That
said the lack of post codes has been of great help. It means I have to
look up exactly where I want to go...

As always any help / comments always welcome

On the subject of OpenStreetMap, it would be nice if the lug used OSM when maps are required for lug activities. Although I am not a big fan of the complex ODBL license it is open source.

There are still some compromises with using OSM but it is street level complete for Devon and Cornwall [compared to the Ordnance Survey] and has massively improved in the 5 years that I have been a contributor. Postcode searching is still pretty weak in places and individual addresses are unlikely to ever be added unless the Government releases the Post Office address file as open source.

There are a number of OSM based routing engines available including the following:

http://www.routino.org/uk/router.html
http://map.project-osrm.org/

If any of the lug meeting places need to be added to OSM I am more than happy to do that.

Kevin