Re: [LUG] Your ISP - and IPv6

On 05/07/13 11:36, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM, Neil Winchurst wrote:
However I have noticed other occasions recently when
I have had a similar message when trying to open a web site. Now I know why.

I don't think that's the issue.

The message just means your browser can't find a DNS A record (or IPv4
address) for that address. It could be a typo, it could be that the
site has been taken offline, it could be an issue with the DNS.

It is extremely unlikely that the site can be reached via IPv6 (that
is a DNS AAAA record, or IPv6 address), for the simple reason that a
lot of people can't use IPv6. Loops of Zen seems to be set up to make
a point.

You can check this from a terminal:

dig +short www.loopsofzen.co.uk

Shows the A record(s) (IPv4 address) of the domain, if any, while

dig +short aaaa www.loopsofzen.co.uk

Shows the AAAA record(s) (IPv6 address).

Both sites give 'Server not found' message.

Neil