Re: [LUG] Windows NSA backdoor - website article

On 15/06/13 19:29, Paul Sutton wrote:
> *Any* system can be secured. Admittedly, I do personally find Linux much
> easier to reliably lock down but Windows isn't the pile of crap most
> people on this list seem to like to think it is. Regards
> So
>

> This is what I am trying to get across,   if you say Windows Sucks you
> have to provide a reason and evidence to back up your arguments, now if
> you say you prefer Linux because you find it easier to lock down,  then
> that is a good argument,  if you say you prefer Linux systems as
> configuration is stored in editable text files which means recovery is
> easier then that is another argument, you don't need to then go on to
> say how the windows registry makes this harder,  or very difficult if
> the registry gets borked.
>
> If you say you prefer Linux because of the freedoms the philosophy
> offers there are many examples I guess.
>
> Focus on Why Linux is good and does a good job,   saying windows sucks
> will probably be more of a negative against using Linux,   Linux is good
> on clusters as the source code can be modified . optimized and tweaked
> to requirement,  .
>
> if someone brings and they stick to their guns, give up and try someone
> else as life is way to short .
>
> so if we can come up with a few examples I can paste to the site it
> would be good,   esp when we have to explain what Linux is and why it is
> different,  having a well written resource would just make it easier for
> those of us who struggle a bit to explain.
>
> Would be good for software freedom day or helping new users understand
> the whole concept.
>

> Paul

Be warned that not everything is quite as simple as that anymore: gconf
for example does technically still store it's configuration in text
files, but good luck directly editing them. Gconf is every bit as nasty
as the windows registry and that's before we even get to the braindead
crap spewing out of RedHat these days: systemd has it's own custom
binary logging format. The days of everything being simple editable text
files are long gone. And speaking of simply editable text files for
configuration, I take it you have never had a fight with the m4
preprocessor for generating sendmail configurations?

To be honest, I've entirely given up on any kind of advocacy - all
operating systems are crap, all operating systems also have their good
points and everyone will just carry on using whatever they're
comfortable with. I personally just use the right tool for the right job
and couldn't care less about trying to ram Linux down people's throats
anymore. I happen to really like the whole libre/free ideology when it
comes to software so I'll always have a soft spot for Linux and BSD
myself, and don't really imagine I'd ever want to use Windows or Mac as
my own personal main workstation OS but ten years down the line, who knows?

And for what it's worth, Windows is finally pretty good at clustering
too: with just a handful of PowerShell scripts you can provision a fleet
of Hyper-V blades into a HAC and immediately start spinning up 100's of
VMs in no time, with multipath file I/O, live failover and migration of
images, you name it. It's really cool, and definitely easier to at least
get up and running than any Linux cluster. Now Hyper-V does still
somewhat suck at virtualizing Linux and there are other issues (price of
licensing can be absolutely ruinous, OpenBSD can't be networked to the
SDN virtual switch, duh) but Windows clusters are no longer laughable,
and like I said, so easy to provision.

To this day, I think the only OS I actually genuinely *like*, rather
than just tolerate, is SGI Irix. I wish that SGI would suddenly announce
out of nowhere that they've just finished porting it to amd64, updated
everything and are releasing the new Irix 7 under the GPL3. That would
be great. And although I'm definitely wandering increasingly far
off-topic by this point, anybody else see that HP have finally shit
canned OpenVMS? Here's hoping that eventually they'll just release that
as open source as well, and let the community deal with it from now on
but as it's HP, I'm not holding my breath for that...

Regards