Re: [LUG] Windows NSA backdoor - website article

On 15/06/13 19:03, Daniel Robinson wrote:
> but i am also aware that no firewall in
> the land will stop a hacker so see very little point in armour plating a
> windows system..

Oh, I assure you it will: especially if you tell iptables/pf to drop
everything...

A firewall isn't a magic bullet, but it's definitely one of the most
important tools in keeping out the bad guys. My firewalls routinely
kick/ban 1000's of IPs per day as script kiddies, bots and wannabes port
scan my clients and my own home network.

And as for not bothering to armour plate a windows system... are you
crazy? Of course there's a point. If you know what you're doing, it's
entirely possible for your Windows servers to stand up next to your big
bad Linux boxes, take every attack on the chin, and keep on slogging.
I'd be deeply humiliated if any of the very, very many windows boxes I
look after could be trivially point and click pwned.

*Any* system can be secured. Admittedly, I do personally find Linux much
easier to reliably lock down but Windows isn't the pile of crap most
people on this list seem to like to think it is.

Regards