Re: [LUG] Windows NSA backdoor - website article

I very much dislike the whole privacy issue, but as a gamer I am left with little choice but to use propitiatory software such as windows. I use facebook often to connect with friends and am intrigued as to who or what these non-facebook social networking sites are?
I am security concious, I have a firewall and i don't click too many silly links and so seldom catch a virus, but i am also aware that no firewall in the land will stop a hacker so see very little point in armour plating a windows system..

I for one would love to see alternatives to facebook etc, and i really think as a lug we should push these issues and come up with "the best case scenarios" Âto all security concerns regardless of platform.

2 pence!

On 15 June 2013 18:55, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 15/06/13 17:29, bad apple wrote:
> On 15/06/13 13:36, Philip Hudson wrote:
>> Anyone still prepared to accord Windows and MS the same respect as
>> other players?
>>
>> http://www.heise.de/tp/artikel/5/5263/1.html
>>
>> --
>> Phil Hudson         Âhttp://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
>> @UWascalWabbit         PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

Ok on a side issue here, Âwe are risking being branded Microsoft bashers
here, Âlets (and I am willing to write something with help) write
something for the website and elsewhere that focuses on the current
issue of privacy invasion and why one should use open source / free
software so one argument is that, as the source code is available we are
being open and honest as to what the software is really doing, Âand you
can check the source.

The current news is about propitiatory systems, Microsoft, facebook /
google sharing information with government all of whom seem to grab our
personal data and do with it what they please, Âthey change terms /
conditions / change the user interface etc their main advantage is that
they are widely used, as Âlug we I guess would like to change that. Âin
that we need to make an argument as to why someone would use Linux based
systems over Windows, Â(stability, security, type thing)or alternatives
to facebook Âsuch as GNU / Social etc

By using facebook you can connect with 100's of people, Âhowever a lot
of people may just keep in touch with family / friends, so perhaps if
they are worried about privacy they could use GNU social as it is Open,
a group of friends can connect with each other, and its JUST them, they
have CONTROL over what is done with the data shared (text and
pictures), Âso there are pros to using this and if people are worried
about privacy it has some selling points.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.