Re: [LUG] font rendering done right

On 08/06/13 16:19, Simon Waters wrote:
> On 08/06/13 16:12, bad apple wrote:
>> On 08/06/13 16:08, Simon Waters wrote:
>>> $ apt-cache policy libc6
>>> libc6:
>>>   Installed: 2.13-38
>>>   Candidate: 2.13-38
>>>   Version table:
>>>  *** 2.13-38 0
>>>         500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages
>>>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>>>

>> Weird... but if you installed from the raring ubuntu repo, did apt not
>> complain about your libc6 version being < 2.14?
> I built the debs from the github for the Debian packages, I don't touch
> Ubuntu repositories, and what little I've seen of Ubuntu recently
> doesn't inspire me to try any time soon, but I might just have been
> spoilt by the hard working DDs, or place too high a premium on having
> self consistent and working debs in my distros repositories.
>
> The days of trying to get Redhat 7 and Redhat 9 to do serious stuff, and
> having to build so much from source, and then keep it upto date, really
> put me off building stuff from source.
>
> Possibly too much as I should really package some odds and sods we have
> at work as Debian packages, but never really got into the building
> packages thing.

Ah, that explains it - could you send me a tarball of the sources
please? I can't get an anonymous check out to work on that github
account. Such a pain in the arse...

I had a weird flashback then thinking about the old days of RedHat 9 and
building nearly literally *everything* that you might ever actually use
from source - it was one of the first linux distros I used heavily and
coming from 'proper' Unix it was both revelatory and utterly crap at the
same time. Recently I've had the misfortune at one client of having to
use CentOS as a workstation OS, rather than where it belongs, as a
virtualised server instance in a remote co-lo. I will never, ever
complain about the Debian repositories again. It was like Linux from the
early 2000s, and I don't mean that in a good way...

Cheers