Re: [LUG] font rendering done right

On 06/06/13 22:58, Simon Waters wrote:
> On 06/06/13 20:31, bad apple wrote:
>> http://www.webupd8.org/2013/06/better-font-rendering-in-linux-with.html
>>
>> I could not have been more wrong - the results are immediate and like
>> night and day compared to the defaults. I haven't even bothered tweaking
>> it yet, just installed it and set it to Infinality/Infinality (which is
>> a pre-set based exactly on the dev's own preferred setup) and it's
>> amazing.
> Hmm, it seems to have changed my default system font (within GNOME at
> least) to something with ugly serifs.
>
> I've reset that in terminal and icedove, but can't immediately see how
> to set it right (should the ugly critter turn up elsewhere - I recognize
> it is the same one something else defaults to (possibly Macs?)).
>
> Also tweaked my anti-aliasing to greyscale (perhaps I had tweaked this
> stuff before), but that may be a personal choice thing or an LCD thing.
>
> Seems also to have sorted a strange fuzziness issue with the right hand
> side of the screen which I hadn't noticed till I read your post and
> compared their before and after pictures and noted that something odd
> happened on the right hand side of my screen.
>
> Does seem to have sorted the kerning issue in Debian, but it all looks
> fairly different due to the changes of font.
>
> Suppose the question to ask is why is it still a patch?
>
>  Simon

Simon, which version of Debian are you using? I'm guessing it must be
Jessie or Sid. Also, did you install infinality via the suggested Ubuntu
repo, converted to a .list?

Just curious, as I just used that method to try and install it on a
Debian Wheezy box only to have it fail on dependencies:

libfreetype6 : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14) but 2.13-38 is to be installed

It did install fine on my Sid laptop which has a suitable libc6
revision. Annoyingly I can't check out the github source to build it
myself easily as they've misconfigured their github setup so that even
anonymous r/o checkout requires a login, and I can't be bothered making
up another one. If anyone else fancies running:

git clone https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Debian-Packages.git

And then emailing me a tarball of the result it would be appreciated.
You'll need a valid github account, which I'm sure loads of you have.

Cheers