Re: [LUG] Certificate authorities was Re: Email encryption, was Re: www.dcglug.org.uk

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:40 PM, bad apple wrote:
> Also, DNSSEC must be implemented everywhere at the first possible
> opportunity, if not sooner.

While I'm in favour of DNSSEC, I'm somewhat worried by a remark I
heard around the time of, I believe, the Diginotar hack* when everyone
was told to delete some CAs from their browser and someone said:
DNSSEC is like HTTPS, except you don't have the possibility to
manually revoke the certificates if they get compromised.

Now I don't believe manual revocation would be a good solution anyway,
but it did make me think.

* Diginotar was a Dutch certificate authority (CA) that got hacked
into by some Iranians (with little effort), who created certificates
for Google and others, that they used to read the emails of opposition
activists.

Martijn.