Re: [LUG] Certificate authorities was Re: Email encryption, was Re: www.dcglug.org.uk

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 22:00:55 +0100
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

>The certificate authorities all do some sort of check aside from taking
>your money.

Yes;  My cynicism was shining through at the time.

>The issue is you are reliant on the security, integrity and checks of
>the weakest of the certificate authorities that your browser trusts.
>
>So the list doesn't scale well, and currently in my browser has a lot of
>entries. Apparently my browser trusts Vodaphone, and Versign, Google,

Google really screw themselves with SSL certs, rolling them out over
time across their mail servers so you get warnings(1) about certificate
validity. I don't trust them to do anything else right, either.

(1) Depends on your MUA and how you set it up.  Several seem to accept,
by default, anything google throws at them, which is a worry.

--
 Regards  _
Keep your drink just give em the money