Re: [LUG] Certificate authorities was Re: Email encryption, was Re: www.dcglug.org.uk

On 28/04/13 22:00, Simon Waters wrote:
> On 28/04/13 20:58, Brad Rogers wrote:
>>> the "web of trust" of certificate authorities to the point where many
>> The cert authorities don't do web of trust, unless I've missed
>> something.  They simply sell a 'certificate' to anyone with the money to
>> pay for it.  You or I could buy one.
> The certificate authorities all do some sort of check aside from taking
> your money.
>
> The issue is you are reliant on the security, integrity and checks of
> the weakest of the certificate authorities that your browser trusts.
>
> So the list doesn't scale well, and currently in my browser has a lot of
> entries. Apparently my browser trusts Vodaphone, and Versign, Google,
> AOL, Deutsche Telekom, Microsoft, organisations in Turkey whose name I
> can't even read the alphabet for, and various banks and companies in
> Japan, Switzerland, America, South Africa etc.
>
> The Web of Trust scales better, since you are reliant on a small number
> of people you trust to introduce others. There is also gradation of
> trust (well a little).
>
> Both can be subverted, but they are typically used for different things.
>
> If I get a GPG signed email which is in my web of trust, it is likely to
> be reporting a security issue and the encryption is for privacy.
> Obviously if I use it for immediate wire transfer I need to be more
> careful. But even then it is unusual to exchange sensitive information
> via email with people you've never met unless you are directly
> introduced via a third party (hopefully someone in your web of trust).
>
> If I connect to my bank via HTTPS the security is to prevent immediate
> theft/fraud, typically I don't check the details beyond "it works
> without errors".
>
> There is a partial solution to the dodgy certificate authority issue,
> which is the use of an HTTPS certificate notary. Instead of simply
> checking the certificate is valid, you also check with a trusted third
> party (or more than one if really paranoid) if this is the same
> certificate other people are seeing for the same website (and also if it
> has changed recently).
>
> Thus if you are in Iran, and contact accounts.google.com over https to
> login to google mail, and receive a certificate from a Turkish
> certificate authority, rather than the one you've had previously from
> Google's certificate authority, your browser checks with the notary and
> flags up a discrepancy.
>
> HSTS will be the technology for improving HTTPS security in 2013 (it is
> already keeping most of us safer using Google and Paypal and you
> probably never noticed). It is there and working in Chrome and Firefox,
> and is one header in your web server to set up, so easy and simple with
> no real downside.
>
> Notary type checks will probably take a few years more to become the
> default behaviour in browsers, but unless a better solution emerges, I'm
> pretty sure it will happen because all certificate authorities are not
> [...]
The great Moxie Marlinspike is all over this, check out:

http://tack.io/

Also, DNSSEC must be implemented everywhere at the first possible
opportunity, if not sooner.

I am one of the people who believe that the current CA infrastructure is
hopelessly, pathetically inadequate and effectively broken.

HSTS is not going to be a pancea to cure everything, but I am hopeful
and looking forward to it being much more widely implemented (if nothing
else it should stop SSL stripping MITM attacks, another of Moxie's firsts).

Internet security is in a terrible state at the moment.

Cheers