Re: [LUG] Joining the Yahoo! spammers club

On 25/04/13 23:01, Martijn Grooten wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2013 10:34 PM, "Simon Waters" wrote:
>> Trouble is, whilst Yahoo have more pieces of the puzzle than we do, the
>> only people we know "must" know are the spammers themselves. The
>> information must be coded in the software doing the spamming, although
>> possibly obliquely.
>
> Not necessarily.

Why I said obliquely. If the machine has or is being fed a list of plain
text passwords we know the password is owned, likely a lot of them. If
it has a stack of cookies, it is cookie theft. If it is working
sequentially through a list of IDs in code it is a protocol thing.

Of course if it has passwords we don't know how they got them, but the
scope of the list might be a clue. e.g. if it is dense alphabetically
you might be able to deduce if they have the full password file or some
hint at the proportion of accounts compromised. Such a machine might
also lead us closer to the perpetrators.