[LUG] Joining the Yahoo! spammers club

I've got a Yahoo account. Actually, I've got a few that I use so rarely that I create a new account whenever I need one.

Today I got a warning on my Gmail account that someone had managed to login to Yahoo. Sure enough, I got a spam email at my work account - the only address in its contact list.

I don't remember the password for the account, but given that it was set up a while ago (before I started to use password managers) it could have been fairly weak. Still, Yahoo should be able to defend against someone cracking passwords. If that's what happened, though according to Yahoo it is: "a login attempt with valid password" they say.

So now I'm even more motivated to find out what went wrong.

Two clues: according to Yahoo the login used Yahoo's mobile app (Yahoo mobile has been linked to spam campaigns before). And the login took place from Bangladesh, which is known to be the world's capital of sweatshops full of CAPTCHA crackers.

Martijn