Re: [LUG] Joining the Yahoo! spammers club

On 24/04/13 00:42, Martijn Grooten wrote:

> That would be my guess too. Except that I hadn't used this account for
> over a year (and even back then only a few times). And my PC, the only
> place where I has ever accessed the account from, had been off for a
> week because I was abroad.

Yes, but we know they have compromised millions of account, so if it is
cookie theft they may well have a big backlog to work through.

> Still, I could have missed something somewhere. But there is bad apple's
> case too. And others. I know of someone's test account, used once to
> email another account, that ended up being compromised.

I don't think in any case we have conclusive evidence that the browser
didn't have a cookie from Yahoo, and wasn't used with other sites.

Although "bad apple"'s case was highly suggestive of this, it is the
kind of thing which is very hard to categorically rule out, since most
people (understandably) don't clear cookies immediately on leaving a
site (and even then it could be on-site advertising or some such).