Re: [LUG] Building an iCloud

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 15:24:28 +0100
bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello bad,

>Now that makes perfect sense, thanks for the clarification: I was sure
>that you meant something other than the initial reading.

The trouble with terms like "security" is that they can mean different
things to different people.  Even when talking about the same subject.

>Do many people do that do you think? I mean, upload their one and only
>copy of file(s) to Dropbox or what have you, and then delete their
>originals from local storage? To me that would seem rather, umm, silly,

More than 70% (possibly more than 90%) of people don't back up their
data.  At all.  Silly?  Of course it is.  The people that frequent MLs
such as this one though, tend to be more au fait with computer
technology and its pitfalls.  Backing up comes as easy as breathing to
most of us.  Most people don't know or care about such things.  They
believe all the market hype.  It's only when they get bitten that we
hear from them;

Them "Oh woe is me!  All my precious data has gone!"

Me "Not a problem.  Restore from your backups.  You shouldn't lose any
   more than a couple of days worth of material."

Them "Backup?  What's a backup?"

Me "You're f#*$&d."

>own question I suppose, yes, some of them do. Yikes.

Indeed.

--
 Regards  _
Going round on the Circle Line trying to find a way out