Re: [LUG] Building an iCloud

On 24/04/13 16:22, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 07:23:08 +0100
> Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello Richard,
>
>> That said, it would be great if the cloud system would allow all os's to
>> sync including mobile devices.
>>
>> Is this a tall order? Any ideas please?
> If you value your data, I'd keep it out of cloud environments, IIWY.

The "cloud" - whatever it is currently being defined as in market
doubletalk - is fine and a real boon if used properly and sensibly.

>From the consumer side, ignoring all the B2B stuff like SaaS, PaaS, IaaS
(basically the heavy-weight corporate infrastructure stuff), services
like Dropbox, etc, are great and I use them all the time. Everything is
encrypted first though.

I wouldn't touch iCloud with a fifty foot bargepole though, and I'm
really familiar with it (a lot of my clients do not share my
reservations). Like most other services, they're ripe for abuse but you
can easily shield yourself from the most egregious elements with some
common sense, a healthy dose of scepticism and strong crypto.

Regards