Re: [LUG] OT: Scam call

On Fri, 2013-03-22 at 14:04 +0000, Julian Hall wrote:
> On 22/03/2013 12:59, Richard Brown wrote:
> > Hi Julian
> >

> > On 22 Mar 2013, at 12:13, Julian Hall wrote:
> >
> >> We've all had them, but this one I had to share.. they're not even trying
> >> anymore!
> >>
> >> *phone rings*
> >>
> >> Me: Hello? *empty line, so I know it's probably a scam* Hello?
> >> Caller: *bad line, said something about Microsoft and computer*
> >> Me: Who's calling?
> >> Caller: Can I speak to Mr Hall please? [yeah they appear to have a source of
> >> phone numbers AND names, not just random numbers]
> >> Me: Who's calling?
> >> Caller: I am calling from Microsoft, your computer has a virus.
> >> Me: Ohh.. you're a scammer and a criminal.. OK..
> >> Caller: I am scammer and criminal?
> >> Me: Yes.. glad you agree...
> >> Caller: *confused, repeats* I am scammer and criminal..
> >> Me: *trying not to collapse laughing* Your English isn't very good is it?
> >>
> >> *click*
> >>
> >> To myself: I'll take that as a no then..
> >>
> >> Shame I was having fun with the idiot :)
> >>
> > Don't joke about this. I know a guy who answered the call, panicked and asked
> > them to fix it. Cost him Â70! And his computer. It became unusable! Basically he
> > threw it out. He didn't ask anyone about how to fix it, he just assumed the
> > Microsoft guy had done his best.........
> >
> > So a few months later with another computer, he gets the phone call again. Â70
> > later and yet another computer down the pan, he decides he doesn't like
> > computers and hasn't bought another one.
> >
> > ---
> > Kind regards
> >
> > Richard Brown
> > Youth Worker
> > Wild Woods Project
> > 07747 343637
> > http://wild-woods.org.uk/
> Hi Richard,
>
> I posted it here because those on the list know better, however I take
> your point.
>
> This is why I have also written a blog on the issue advising people how
> to tell a scammer from a real caller (boils down to 'nobody will ever
> call you from Microsoft, they couldn't care less' and 'Nobody *can* call
> you based on your IP address except for your ISP who won't bother..
> they'll email you if there is a problem.')
>
> http://julianmhall.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/spotting-computer-scammers.html
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

Is this universally known or .......

On the subject of Scammer and hackers..

I had to set up a method of remotely assisting someone 300 miles away on
a Virgin media cable connection

We both have Linux and I have set the router for VNC and ssh
I thought we would need some form of Dynamic DNS so i could connect
anytime without asking him for his external IP

But....
I connected once with Vnc viewer and in the logs it gives me the virgin
host in the format of cpcx-clifxx-2-0-custxxx.12-4.cable.virginmedia.com

which I have just alised to him so just vncviewer "bob" will always
connect!

I looked at mine for a BT Customer and yes the format is
hostxx-150-xxx-x.range86-xxx.btcentralplus.com

works for me at any time!

By by Dynamic DNS

gotten in the wrong hands this could target a BT/ Virgin customer quite
easily!
I have fail to ban on both machines and regularly get ssh and vnc
attempts,  the secure logs are full of them.

Just a bit of paranoia ( hope India isn't listening).

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
A dedicated Linux user