Re: [LUG] OT: Scam call

Hi Julian

On 22 Mar 2013, at 12:13, Julian Hall wrote:

> We've all had them, but this one I had to share.. they're not even trying anymore!
>
> *phone rings*
>
> Me: Hello? *empty line, so I know it's probably a scam* Hello?
> Caller: *bad line, said something about Microsoft and computer*
> Me: Who's calling?
> Caller: Can I speak to Mr Hall please? [yeah they appear to have a source of phone
> numbers AND names, not just random numbers]
> Me: Who's calling?
> Caller: I am calling from Microsoft, your computer has a virus.
> Me: Ohh.. you're a scammer and a criminal.. OK..
> Caller: I am scammer and criminal?
> Me: Yes.. glad you agree...
> Caller: *confused, repeats* I am scammer and criminal..
> Me: *trying not to collapse laughing* Your English isn't very good is it?
>
> *click*
>
> To myself: I'll take that as a no then..
>
> Shame I was having fun with the idiot :)

Don't joke about this. I know a guy who answered the call, panicked and asked them
to fix it. Cost him £70! And his computer. It became unusable! Basically he threw it
out. He didn't ask anyone about how to fix it, he just assumed the Microsoft guy had
done his best.........

So a few months later with another computer, he gets the phone call again. £70 later
and yet another computer down the pan, he decides he doesn't like computers and
hasn't bought another one.

---
Kind regards

Richard Brown