Re: [LUG] OT: Scam call

 On 22/03/2013 12:59, Richard Brown wrote:
Hi Julian

On 22 Mar 2013, at 12:13, Julian Hall wrote:

We've all had them, but this one I had to share.. they're not even trying anymore!

*phone rings*

Me: Hello? *empty line, so I know it's probably a scam* Hello?
Caller: *bad line, said something about Microsoft and computer*
Me: Who's calling?
Caller: Can I speak to Mr Hall please? [yeah they appear to have a source of phone
numbers AND names, not just random numbers]
Me: Who's calling?
Caller: I am calling from Microsoft, your computer has a virus.
Me: Ohh.. you're a scammer and a criminal.. OK..
Caller: I am scammer and criminal?
Me: Yes.. glad you agree...
Caller: *confused, repeats* I am scammer and criminal..
Me: *trying not to collapse laughing* Your English isn't very good is it?

*click*

To myself: I'll take that as a no then..

Shame I was having fun with the idiot :)

Don't joke about this. I know a guy who answered the call, panicked and asked them to fix
it. Cost him £70! And his computer. It became unusable! Basically he threw it out.
He didn't ask anyone about how to fix it, he just assumed the Microsoft guy had done his
best.........

So a few months later with another computer, he gets the phone call again. £70 later
and yet another computer down the pan, he decides he doesn't like computers and hasn't
bought another one.

---
Kind regards

Richard Brown
Youth Worker
Wild Woods Project
07747 343637
http://wild-woods.org.uk/
Hi Richard,

I posted it here because those on the list know better, however I take your point.

This is why I have also written a blog on the issue advising people how to tell a scammer from a real caller (boils down to 'nobody will ever call you from Microsoft, they couldn't care less' and 'Nobody *can* call you based on your IP address except for your ISP who won't bother.. they'll email you if there is a problem.')

http://julianmhall.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/spotting-computer-scammers.html

Kind regards,

Julian