Re: [LUG] More Raspberry woes.

On 21/03/13 09:54, Paul sutton wrote:

  From: JOHN DAVEY <johndavey303@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, 17 March 2013, 17:37
Subject: Re: [LUG] More Raspberry woes.

  From: Tom Brough <tombrough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, 17 March 2013, 15:58

On 17/03/13 15:35, JOHN DAVEY wrote:

From: Tom Brough <tombrough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, 17 March 2013, 15:09

On 17/03/13 12:43, JOHN DAVEY wrote:

From: JOHN DAVEY <johndavey303@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, 17 March 2013, 12:24

From: Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, 17 March 2013, 12:17

On 17/03/13 12:13, JOHN DAVEY wrote:

*From:* Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx>
*To:* list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Sent:* Sunday, 17 March 2013,
*Subject:* Re: [LUG] More
On 17/03/13 12:04, JOHN DAVEY

                                   would tell me to do this if it was
                                   going to have this effect but....what
                                   can I say my Raspberry is now
                                   unuseable and when it boots up is says
                                   something about "[warn] root
                                   filesystem has insufficient filespace"
                                   what have I done?!
Jon Davey.

"[warn] root filesystem has insufficient filespace"

This suggests that you should delete or copy some files
                 off your SD card and delete them. For example files in
                 the /home directory can backed up then deleted. You can
                 always copy them back afterwards. I suspect that the
                 upgrade process copied a large number of updated
                 packages that filled up your SD card. Unfortunately its
                 your responsibility to check you have enough space as no
                 distributor of any software can tell you how much space
                 you have left.
For example I could recommend you have an 8Gb card but
                 at some point you will use that space up . After
                 packages are downloaded they are unpacked (which
                 temporary takes even more space. I would suggest that
                 the upgrade bombed out halfway because of lack of space
                 to unpack one of the upgraded packages. Everything will
                 look ok,  but the next time you start up, the system
                 will need some space for logs etc and this is where you
                 run into problems.
As I said before, put your SD card in a card reader look
                 at the files in /home, copy some large ones onto some
                 other storage and delete them off the SD card, see if it
                 boots, if it does do an apt-get update / apt-get upgrade
                 again and watch the output carefully. If your lucky it
                 will finish and correct any anomalies. I would also
                 suggest apt-get clean in case any installed package
                 files are still being cached. If all is well at that
                 point check how much space you have and if you can copy
                 back the files you backed up earlier. If you don't have
                 the space to do this then it really is time to invest in
                 a higher capacity SD card.
If its any consolation I have run into the same problem
                 on desktops when my root drive filled up. I couldn't
                 even get a console session from Alt-F1 etc... Luckily
                 sshd had started so in the end I had to ssh into the
                 system (the only way I could get access) and delete some
                 stuff (log files in /var/logs are a good source of
                 redundant bloated log files, although these days
                 logrotate tends to keep them in check, not sure if pi
                 supports logrotate as I dont have one .... yet).
Treat it as a learning execise ;-) Good Luck.

Tom.
e ?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I don't have an SD card reader so
             I'll have to get one of those I guess from somewhere. I'm
             not really sure how to check how much space I have on my
             card yet. I'll work it out somehow.
Cheers, Jon DAVEY.

Assuming you have a second machine:

Is ssh configured on your pi? If so, and you have a second machine
     you could try ssh terminal connection. If you can log in that way
     you should at least be able to tidy up some stuff... possibly enough
     to get it to boot properly. That way you wouldn't need an SD card
     reader (although they are always handy things to have and cost £1 in
     poundland).

Tom.

Tom, I have reqalised that there is an SD reader on my wifes notebook
which I should be able to use but I've heard a lot about ssh'ing and it
sounds interesting I'd like to learn how to do it...
Cheers, Jon

...also I have checked and I do have an 8mb SD card. When you suggested
using another machine to delete some files were you assuming that any
other machine I might have is a Linux one? Because all I have access to is
my wifes wwindows notebook. I havn't tried plugging the SD card into this
yet as I am afraid I might do something wrong. Can I in fact do this ? and
wil I be able to get any positive results ?
Jon.--

And dont top post!
Tom te tom te tom