Re: [LUG] More Raspberry woes.

From: Tom Brough <tombrough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, 17 March 2013, 15:58
Subject: Re: [LUG] More Raspberry woes.

On 17/03/13 15:35, JOHN DAVEY wrote:

From: Tom Brough <tombrough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, 17 March 2013, 15:09

On 17/03/13 12:43, JOHN DAVEY wrote:

From: JOHN DAVEY <johndavey303@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, 17 March 2013, 12:24

From: Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, 17 March 2013, 12:17

On 17/03/13 12:13, JOHN DAVEY wrote:

> [...]
erk,  sounds like there is more of a deeper problem,  I will let gordon
or perhaps one of the more experienced users give a few suggestions.

Do you have a spare sd card you can make a new image and try that,
this rules out hardware issues perhaps.

Paul
http://www.ubuntu.com

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.

....no I don't have a spare card. Oh god why does this always seem to happen to me ?!?!

...I was just thinking, is it possible that I have downloaded too much onto my SD card. I'm not sure why the site would tell me to do this if it was going to have this effect but....what can I say my Raspberry is now unuseable and when it boots up is says something about "[warn] root filesystem has insufficient filespace" what have I done?!
Jon Davey.

"[warn] root filesystem has insufficient filespace"

This suggests that you should delete or copy some files off your SD card and delete them. For example files in the /home directory can backed up then deleted. You can always copy them back afterwards. I suspect that the upgrade process copied a large number of updated packages that filled up your SD card. Unfortunately its your responsibility to check you have enough space as no distributor of any software can tell you how much space you have left.

For example I could recommend you have an 8Gb card but at some point you will use that space up . After packages are downloaded they are unpacked (which temporary takes even more space. I would suggest that the upgrade bombed out halfway because of lack of space to unpack one of the upgraded packages. Everything will look ok,  but the next time you start up, the system will need some space for logs etc and this is where you run into problems.

As I said before, put your SD card in a card reader look at the files in /home, copy some large ones onto some other storage and delete them off the SD card, see if it boots, if it does do an apt-get update / apt-get upgrade again and watch the output carefully. If your lucky it will finish and correct any anomalies. I would also suggest apt-get clean in case any installed package files are still being cached. If all is well at that point check how much space you have and if you can copy back the files you backed up earlier. If you don't have the space to do this then it really is time to invest in a higher capacity SD card.

If its any consolation I have run into the same problem on desktops when my root drive filled up. I couldn't even get a console session from Alt-F1 etc... Luckily sshd had started so in the end I had to ssh into the system (the only way I could get access) and delete some stuff (log files in /var/logs are a good source of redundant bloated log files, although these days logrotate tends to keep them in check, not sure if pi supports logrotate as I dont have one .... yet).

Treat it as a learning execise ;-) Good Luck.

Tom.
e ?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I don't have an SD card reader so I'll have to get one of those I guess from somewhere. I'm not really sure how to check how much space I have on my card yet. I'll work it out somehow.
Cheers, Jon DAVEY.

Assuming you have a second machine:

Is ssh configured on your pi? If so, and you have a second machine you could try ssh terminal connection. If you can log in that way you should at least be able to tidy up some stuff... possibly enough to get it to boot properly. That way you wouldn't need an SD card reader (although they are always handy things to have and cost £1 in poundland).

Tom.

Tom, I have reqalised that there is an SD reader on my wifes notebook which I should be able to use but I've heard a lot about ssh'ing and it sounds interesting I'd like to learn how to do it...
Cheers, Jon