Re: [LUG] disclaimer text

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 7:16 PM, stinga wrote:
> Having a disclaimer can also be admission of fault. You knew there was a
> problem so you should have done something to fix it.

A famous philosopher once said: we are all wrong about some things, we
just don't know what they are. Which is why I disagree with you: a
disclaimer is a way of saying "I may be wrong about some of the things
I say".

That's not to say I like disclaimers. I think it should be implicitly
understood that anything you find on the Internet may be incorrect
(and the likeliness of information being wrong depends on the context
it is found in). I also don't think disclaimers should cover those who
knowingly provide incorrect (or even harmful) information -- and I
doubt they will.

But if people believe that disclaimers could avoid the LUG getting in
trouble, by all means link to one at the bottom of the website where
it doesn't get in the way. But make sure it is legally valid (and not,
say, something copied from an American website).

Martijn.