Re: [LUG] disclaimer text

On 13/01/13 22:01, Edward Finlayson wrote:
> Personally, knowing how litigious this country is getting I would be much happier
> if there were a disclaimer, particularly with the recent state of criminal cases
> being prosecuted on the strength of twitter posts etc. We must bear in mind that
> publishing an article or point of view online is just that, publishing. Therefore
> it is open to all the same legislation (under UK law) as hard copy. We should at
> least have a statement making it clear that articles posted, while they may be the
> personal opinion of the author, are not collectively endorsed by the LUG
> membership et al. This sort of disclaimer is now commonplace in email footers used
> in business and prevent one persons point of view causing trouble for the company
> as a whole 'by association'.
>
> Just my opinion, but please consider recent high profile legal actions.
>
> Fin
> Sent from my  BlackBerry®

I agree and schools have one to say we are not responsible for the web
sites we link to or the content they contain,  putting the ball in the
court of parent / guardians of children to ensure sites are suitable.

My post was for the points you raise,  if someone follows the advice on
the site blindly,  15 years ago you would be told to get lost for not
reading up on stuff,  now people are likely to blame everyone else but
themselves.

Paul

http://drupal.zleap.net
skype : psutton111

http://www.raspberrypi.org
http://www.ubuntu.com

I am committed to safeguarding chidlren, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.