Re: [LUG] Windows 8 adoption

The corner thing is neither logical nor done well. The MS exec responsible for W8
has been moved on, but the market (well ms shareholders) require it happen as saying
we blew it would be too expensive.

The tile thing (metro/modern) works, and if this was the only interface in W8 it
would be a passable tablet/phone gui. The problem stems from combining it with the
desktop from W7, it looks like a 'cut and shut' job. That picking IE from one
interface runs a different version to picking IE from the other (at least in the
beta vm image released) confirms the impression. I had to remember how I started IE
during my testing with it, and do all tests twice, once in each version, and ug
hunting is harder as the metro browser is sort of locked down.

Basic problem with corners is you need to know how to do it, no visual clues, and at
least on mine the corner was hard to hit. I'm guessing most businesses will disable
modern (at least on non-touch devices), and end up with what is a service pack for
W7. Home users may like it if they like Windows phone, otherwise it will be detested.

Saw a suggestion the other day that "modern" disable itself automatically on
non-touch devices, this makes sense to me, but the kind of decision that should have
been made early in the lifecycle.

But then I use gnome classic so maybe I can't cope with GUI changes :)