Re: [LUG] Operating Systems We Have Known And Loved (And Hated)

On 05/01/13 05:31, bad apple wrote:
> So here is a purely personal thing: I really, really *really* love
> operating systems. I'd say it's what makes me tick, to be honest. This
> is why I'm a sysadmin, and not a developer, like a lot of my friends.
> Languages will come and go, but the hardware - it lives forever.
>
> I know by definition this is a LUG - so I guess we all use Linux. But
> what other systems have you known/loved/hated or been forced to use at
> gun point? Which ones did you like, even as you wished horrible death on
> their creators?
>
> I'd REALLY love to hear from old-school gurus like George, to whom even
> MULTICS might genuinely be something he had to step up to as an
> engineer, and punch it right in the face.
>
> If any of you have ever genuinely used a PDP please raise your hand,
> because I'll get off my ass, come to the next meeting, and buy you a
> beer. And ask you a lot of questions...
>
> Cheers

I started off  at collage on an ICL1903s with GEORGE 3 and then GEORGE 4
operating systems - mostly running batch jobs from punch cards for
programming Fortran IV, and later Pascal, for didactic purposes. Also
played with Algol 60 and used MOP terminals with BASIC. I was on the
physics/materials science course and used to feel really sorry for the
Computer Science guys who were programming in COBOL - they needed a sack
truck to transport their stack of punch cards about.

Later we were running Commodore PETs and then Apricots until IBM brought
out the x86. Mostly used for data capture through a/d converter boards.
Those were the days when "proprietary" software meant buying a book with
a code listing in it and typing it in yourself.

Phil