Re: [LUG] Windows 8 adoption

On 02/01/13 00:00, Kai Hendry wrote:
> On 2 January 2013 01:40, bad apple <ifindthatinteresting@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Windows 8 is actually pretty decent - just pretend all that "the
> Really? What technical merit does it bring to the table?
>
> Is the filesystem still doggedly slow? ;)

No. NTFS has been incrementally improved over the years and is not any
worse than any other filesystem that isn't ZFS.

But funny you should mention that - enjoy HFS+ on your new Retina
MacBook, the worst filesystem currently shipped by any manufacturer!
(But saying that, you should still totally buy one - I had a Retina
MacBook recently and as much as I dislike OS X, the hardware was just
fantastic. Alternative operating systems on the bare metal are
problematic, neither windows or linux handle the resolution scaling
elegantly or really at all yet. Awesome laptop though.)

Technical merits in Win8/2012? There are a *lot*. Just off the top of my
head: SMB 3.0, multipath concurrent SMB shares (which can be used as
targets for the hyper-V role), hyper-V is now a fully functional
hypervisor, online de-dupe, AD cloning, WSUS overhaul, hugely improved
system management tools, powershell 3, native iSCSI targets, storage
spaces (backed by a new ZFS-like filesystem, as filesystems seem to
tickle your fancy), native ISO mounts, etc, etc. Seriously, there are so
many improvements there are too many to list - I keep bumping into new
stuff pretty much every day. The more I use it, the more cool things I
find. I like cool new things, I've got a lot of work to do and I like it
when the tools I need to do my job are genuinely improved, no matter the
source.

I'll say it before, and I'll say it again: only idiots wave the flag for
a particular OS - we call them fanboys, and it's purposefully
derogatory. That includes linux fanboys, who are amongst the most
obnoxious of them all.

The right tool for the right job* people. And sometimes, that's windows.

Regards

PS: Just to make sure you don't all think I've wandered onto the wrong
mailing list, I do prefer Linux personally but only where suitable.