Re: [LUG] Windows 8 adoption

On 01/01/13 10:52, Philip Whateley wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/bh9x98d
>
> Phil

Expect that number to ramp massively as soon as all new PCs are sold
exclusively with Windows 8 pre-installed: it always takes a little while
after a new version bump from MS before the general crowd, distinct from
journos, techies and early adopters, start to use it in any large number.

Windows 8 is actually pretty decent - just pretend all that "the
interface previously known as Metro" crap isn't there, ignore the
installers pleading to sign in with a Microsoft Hotmail based ID and
create a regular local or domain account, install Classic Shell and
you're away. Under the hood it's just Win7 with some minor
re-architecting and a bit of spit and polish. Server 2012 is a genuinely
good release in the increasingly reliable Windows Server family (2003
and 2008/2008R2 weren't bad either). Sure, 2012 is expensive with the
inevitable MS money grab (they're fiddling with the licensing costs for
CALs and amongst other things, restricting end users ability to install
Exchange on low end setups, necessitating further upgrades and hence
more licensing costs, etc) but it's a really solid offering.

I for one am slightly bemused that after over a decade of Microsoft
apologists slating Linux/Unix for requiring arcane invocations at a
command prompt to accomplish anything, Microsoft themselves now
recommend in many instances that Server 2012 should be installed in
"core" mode (i.e., without a GUI) and administered via remote powershell
scripting which is as close to a volte face as you can imagine.
Brilliantly, the powershell scripting language, whilst very powerful and
capable, is at least as obtuse as any *nix shell or scripting language
you'd care to mention... Mixed messages from our friends at MS as per
usual.

Earlier I saw some users say they were either tied to Windows as their
main OS or still had to maintain a separate box or dual boot partition
on Windows for compatibility reasons: may I suggest if you can't get
your required apps to work under wine, switch your Windows install to a
virtual one and just run it as a VM when required? A clean Win7 install
will happily sit in a VM configured with only 20Gb of sparse disk
allocation and 2Gb RAM assigned, even 1Gb is fine as long as your
required app isn't Photoshop or something. Unless your main PC is the
biggest piece of crap ever surely you'll have dual 64bit cores and 4Gb+
RAM which is easily enough to host a Windows VM on a Linux box.

Regards