Re: [LUG] strange problem...

On 11/12/12 20:25, bad apple wrote:
On 11/12/12 19:08, tom wrote:
Its looking like a 'driver updated and module forgotten error':
  (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
[    22.634] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fglrx
[    22.634] (II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
[    22.634] (II) Unloading fglrx
[    22.634] (EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module does not exist, 0

I get the impression I need the "new AMD/ATI catalyst 12.6" but have
no idea where to find it....
Tom te tom te tom

On more modern chipsets and discrete cards, I've historically preferred
getting the tools straight from AMD:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx

I'd actually grab the beta version, which is currently 12.11 and has the
best chance of fully supporting your hardware. Don't forget to "apt-get
purge" any of the remaining fglrx fragments from your repo-supplied
drivers first though.

Alternatively, grab the latest ubuntu-specific versions from
xorg-edgers, which is probably a better choice (standard apt-get
updates, repackaged for ubuntu, etc):

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Might have more to say on this very shortly as a client is going to be
taking delivery of an AMD FirePro S10k which is about as cutting edge as
it gets, and will no doubt be a %*£($% to get working properly.

Cheers

Thanks for that - I'd found that myself (but not through AMD's front end which seemed to try and avoid it) I've also found a site that gives full instructions on its installation/configuration instructions for various distributions @ wiki.cchtml.com so I'll try that later today and maybe I can get this rocket box working later today!
Tom te tom te tom