Re: [LUG] strange problem...

On 11/12/12 19:08, tom wrote:
> Its looking like a 'driver updated and module forgotten error':
>  (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
> [    22.634] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fglrx
> [    22.634] (II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
> [    22.634] (II) Unloading fglrx
> [    22.634] (EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module does not exist, 0
>
> I get the impression I need the "new AMD/ATI catalyst 12.6" but have
> no idea where to find it....
> Tom te tom te tom

On more modern chipsets and discrete cards, I've historically preferred
getting the tools straight from AMD:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx

I'd actually grab the beta version, which is currently 12.11 and has the
best chance of fully supporting your hardware. Don't forget to "apt-get
purge" any of the remaining fglrx fragments from your repo-supplied
drivers first though.

Alternatively, grab the latest ubuntu-specific versions from
xorg-edgers, which is probably a better choice (standard apt-get
updates, repackaged for ubuntu, etc):

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Might have more to say on this very shortly as a client is going to be
taking delivery of an AMD FirePro S10k which is about as cutting edge as
it gets, and will no doubt be a %*£($% to get working properly.

Cheers