Re: [LUG] strange problem...

On 11/12/12 17:46, tom wrote:
> It seems to be a newish chipset without linux drivers/cpu integration
> yet - I'm looking at a kernel compile at the mo (used to do these a
> lot but half the switches are beyond me now. I'll try and see if I can
> rember how to get grub/x just to boot into vesa and see how that goes.
> I've found doing the server instal and setting ssh before doing x a
> blessing thou!
> Tom te tom te tom

Nothing has really changed for kernel compiles, there are certainly many
new options available now but the vast majority of it you won't want for
a home PC. "make oldconfig" is still your friend. You chose a good time
for it, Linux has just released 3.7 final (although there are plenty of
easy PPA alternatives if you just want a *buntu-optimised recent build,
the xorg-edgers has 3.7 rc4 I believe and will also supply more modern
xorg components which it sounds like you sorely need).

You can coax xorg into loading your choice of driver by editing
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and editing the "Driver" string like so:

Section "Device"
    Driver         "vesa"
EndSection

Modern distros sometimes don't have an xorg.conf or only have a very
minimal one, if this is the case you can simply insert the above into a
file, save it in the right place and that will be enough - you don't
need to laboriously create an entire xorg.conf unless you want/need to.
If you want to boot directly into a text only system because your
graphics drivers are borked or for any other reason, hold left shift
after BIOS/UEFI to force the grub menu to display - it will be hidden if
only one operating system is detected. Once you have the grub menu,
select rescue mode and once you've logged in as root, remount the
filesystem r/w for editing with "mount -o rw,remount /"

I'm not sure which Ubuntu variant is your choice for this machine, but
if you grab the Alternative installer (do they still even have those any
more?) instead of the default crappy graphical installer/live media, you
gain much more control over the install process and can manually edit
software choices, therefore including things like openssh-server without
having to resort to server install media. If you're confident, you can
break out of the live media installer too and grab a different vtty with
the usual CTRL+ALT+Fx combination. Once you're there, you can manually
invoke dselect or other installer tools to get extra required software
before reboot.

Cheers