Re: [LUG] strange problem...

On 11/12/12 13:35, Eion MacDonald wrote:

On 11/12/2012 13:13, Eion MacDonald wrote:
On 11/12/2012 07:51, tom wrote:
On 10/12/12 21:52, tom wrote:
On 10/12/12 20:07, tom wrote:
Just got one of these:
http://www.ebuyer.com/407538-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7873-1076
and have tried several installs but nothing gets going properly. As
soon as X pops up the screen goes into power save and all is dumb.
Have you tried Live Knoppix various versions?
These allow variation.
Try  3.7,very old; 5, Old; 6, 7 as CPUs increase in complexity.
Eionmac

Extra question:
As I looked at these, (and ACER desktops) but have not yet bought, I
would like to know outcome as I intend to replace a desktop (ancient
circa 1999 working on OpenSUSE) shortly. Just de-commissioned the
current one to make room for Xmas invasion of grandchildren
It seems to be a newish chipset without linux drivers/cpu integration yet - I'm looking at a kernel compile at the mo (used to do these a lot but half the switches are beyond me now. I'll try and see if I can rember how to get grub/x just to boot into vesa and see how that goes. I've found doing the server instal and setting ssh before doing x a blessing thou!
Tom te tom te tom