Re: [LUG] OT: Spelling religious war flamebait

On 10/12/12 13:06, paul sutton wrote:
On 10/12/12 12:43, Julian Hall wrote:
  On 10/12/2012 11:06, paul sutton wrote:
On 10/12/12 10:22, tom wrote:
On 10/12/12 09:22, Philip Hudson wrote:
On 10 Dec, 2012, at 8:55 am, tom wrote:

Using mercan spelling makes as much sense as using 3 for pi. It
might be 'easier' but achieves nothing of use to anyone.
Go on, just take a deep breath and let go of those silly UK
spellings. You can do it. Accept that American spellings are
phonetically truer, truer to Latin and Greek originals, shorter, more
consistent, easier to learn and remember, and altogether utterly and
completely superior. You're a logical, reasoning, rational sort of
chap, a global cybernaut, way beyond petty prejudice and chauvinism.

compare Sulphur (uk) to Sulfur,  the latter is now the accepted
international spelling.  It makes more sense,   This was a decision made
by the international chemistry people not us simply adopting American
spellings.

Oddly employers or potential employers here seem to think its ok to
write Dear Paul on official correspondence,  despite the fact I use
proper salutations.    Such as Dear Mr, Mrs, Ms, Miss.  To me what I use
is more professional,  and if I write to you like that you should write
back (just because I am using e-mail does not mean that e-mail can't be
made formal / informal.

I have had letters from the US that use the salutation / surname
format,  so we are not getting this casual unprofessional attitude from
the USA.

You can't tell me times are changing as if you get official
correspondence from the tax office, NHS et al, they do it properly.  If
you expect this from school leavers it may help if the teachers did it
properly.

Paul
When I worked for ISP Tech Support my initial Customer Service
training (such as it was) boiled down to 'Be polite and address the
customer as Sir or Madam' [The latter used less as occasionally ladies
tend to get a bit stroppy if you call them Madam for some reason ;)]
or Title/Surname e.g. Mr Smith.  However we provided outsourced
support to various ISPs in a 'Virtual ISP' or V-ISP callcentre where I
worked.  A couple of years later one of our (American) Corporate
clients decided our salutation should be by the customer's first
name.  That went totally against my training, and my instincts as IMHO
it does not convey the proper respect for a customer,
I agree
and I never did it; the only caveat being if it was a customer I had
been dealing with for some time who made the offer first.
Well if you have the OK from the customer or client then this then
changes things but then makes thinks awkward if you ever have to deal
with serious issues.

Brief segue. On one occasion I asked for the postcode and it brought
up an account for a customer who I suspect had Polish or at elast East
European heritage judging by the name.  Either way he heard the pause
as I was about to attempt his name and in a kind tone said 'Call me Len'.

One of my colleagues had a fairly successful half-way option between
first name and title/surname of saying 'Good morning John.. do you
mind if I call you John?'  Only once did I hear him revert to 'Mr' as
the customer evidently did mind in that case.

It's a slippery slope though because soon after I heard technicians
address customers as 'mate', at which point I lost my temper and
pointed out to the other seniors that while one client may have said
they wanted us to use first names, 'Mate' was well out or order and
needed curbing ASAP.

Julian

I agree,  this happens in shops,  why? I don't even know you, or your
name so how are we mates,  another annoyance is when the people at tills
decide to carry on a conversation with a collague or another customer
and casually serve me,  very rude and if I was the manger this would
result in  dismissal or certainly a warning,   part of your job
description / training however would be to make it clear how to treat
customers,  so if any disciplinary procedures are carried out it is
because you have breached rules you know about.

In the after school club we are on first name terms so the children can
call us by our first names, however if I worked in a classroom then
clearly it would be on a surname basis (or at least I hope so)  or at
least calling staff sir or miss.

It's a respect issue.

Paul

Its also regional - oop north in shops you were always asked 'can I help you love'. In London the staff grunted and vaulted over the counter to get away when approached.
Tom te tom te tom