Re: [LUG] Ubuntu considered harmful

On 07/12/12 12:04, malcolm wrote:
> ITV/Sky Ads are not opt in.  Perhaps we should only watch BBC TV.  But
> then we'd have to get irritated that they are advertising their own
> product with the trailers they show, they selectively advertise by
> showing trailers for  programmes similar to the one being watching or
> advertise next weeks show with a few clips from "Next Week" based on
> the fact that the viewer watched this weeks through to the end
> (viewers have given them that information).
>
> People want stuff for free, companies finance them by offering Ads.
> Users opt-in by using the product.

I guess people are used to these ads in products such as +Windows Live
messenger,  I don't have a problem with things like this,  however I do
have an issue when they are presented in such a way they get in the
way.

I would actually welcome ads that are related to the products or
software i am using so if they were advertising for example books on
ubuntu 12.10 or books on Libreoffice  so the ads would promote products
that would help you use what you are using better. I am however guessing
this is how it works though.  Contextual advertising or promotions.

Paul