Re: [LUG] OT: Spelling religious war flamebait

On 10/12/12 09:22, Philip Hudson wrote:
On 10 Dec, 2012, at 8:55 am, tom wrote:

Using mercan spelling makes as much sense as using 3 for pi. It might be 'easier' but achieves nothing of use to anyone.

Go on, just take a deep breath and let go of those silly UK spellings. You can do it. Accept that American spellings are phonetically truer, truer to Latin and Greek originals, shorter, more consistent, easier to learn and remember, and altogether utterly and completely superior. You're a logical, reasoning, rational sort of chap, a global cybernaut, way beyond petty prejudice and chauvinism.

In twenty years time do we change all spelling again because we are ruled from China and we have to adapt our spelling to their accent?

Er... we already have. Peking -> Beijing, Tse-tung -> Zedong, etc.

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

Changing the spelling is a bit like putting a motor on an exercise bike only your brain rots not your muscles. Are you going to go and fix all the English documentation that will become incoherent to the now brane ded hoo r 2 laz r stooped 2 adap? Its nothing to do with chauvinism - ooh look a french name not americanised that we both understand - we could change it to showvanisum but it would loose all historical significance. Shrinking a language for the lazy or pig headed shrinks all the prior work and removes vast amounts of information. The difference between colour and color is not one letter - it is between two completely different cultures.
I write this as someone whose first language is American.
Tom te tom te tom