Re: [LUG] OT: Spelling religious war flamebait

 On 10/12/2012 12:23, tom wrote:
On 10/12/12 12:04, Julian Hall wrote:
On 10/12/2012 09:22, Philip Hudson wrote:
On 10 Dec, 2012, at 8:55 am, tom wrote:

Using mercan spelling makes as much sense as using 3 for pi. It might be 'easier' but achieves nothing of use to anyone.

Go on, just take a deep breath and let go of those silly UK spellings. You can do it. Accept that American spellings are phonetically truer, truer to Latin and Greek originals, shorter, more consistent, easier to learn and remember, and altogether utterly and completely superior. You're a logical, reasoning, rational sort of chap, a global cybernaut, way beyond petty prejudice and chauvinism.

In twenty years time do we change all spelling again because we are ruled from China and we have to adapt our spelling to their accent?

Er... we already have. Peking -> Beijing, Tse-tung -> Zedong, etc.

--
Phil Hudson http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

Julian

The old one was a trial wasn’t it?
Tom te tom te tom

Close :) Nuremberg is a city in Germany dating back to around 1050, made (in)famous by the Nazis using it for major rallies, and IIRC the 1936 Olympics. It was used post-war for the War Crimes Trials - which is no doubt what you're thinking of - possibly in an intentional move by the victorious allies to debase the prior centre of Nazism's pomp and ceremony by effectively saying 'Nazism started here and it ends here'.

Julian