Re: [LUG] Linux - and security Part 2

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Simon Waters wrote:
> Just /home is of limited value as important stuff ends up in /etc and
> things like email, and databases may be under /var (or /tmp if it is
> actually permanent - mostly it dies with reboot but distros vary).

When a few months ago I had messed up my Ubuntu machine beyond repair
I made backups of /home /etc and /var and didn't lose anything.

I backed up /var only because it contained files for a (local) web
server I was running. (In fact, I think I only backed up those files.)

And /etc only to refer to just in case. Nothing on it would have been
irreplaceable, it would just save me some time setting things up
again. I don't think there was anything in /etc that I considered very
important. (Nor was there in /var and in any case, running a local web
server isn't something most people do.)

It may be different in other distros, or perhaps my usage of it is
atypical, but I really think all important personal stuff is in /home.
Your average Linux home user doesn't run a mail server, a web server
or a database server. But then, perhaps the problem with Linux is that
your average home user isn't your average home user. :-)

I'm not saying there isn't a good argument to be made for encrypting
your full drive by the way.

Martijn.