Re: [LUG] Linux - and security Part 2

On 07/11/12 21:21, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> I have read the comments and suggestions very carefully.
>
> Wow! :-)
>
> Given the summary you wrote, I think you digested the information very well.
>
> One small comment:
>
>> A virus scan is not needed since we both use Linux only.
>
> This is true.
>
> However, note that this is only true in practise. In theory, you can
> just as easily be infected on Linux. It could be that in a few years'
> time Linux malware becomes a lot more prominent so that you will need
> some kind of anti-virus/security software.
>
> And caution about clicking links, opening attachments etc. should
> already be applied.

Thanks. I do realise that the situation may change eventually re Linux
and viruses. And I do not link to any other computer. So friends who use
Windows (sob) are safe from me. And yes, I am very cautious about links
and attachments etc with browsing and emails. (We won't even mention
some of the phone calls we get!!)

So I will keep an eye out for any developments.

Meanwhile, while on this subject, does anyone have any thoughts on
encrypting the home folder?

Neil